Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year (sort of)

So, my blog is titled "Adventures of a new mommy". Well, we are certainly having an adventure right now! I'm trying to stay positive, but this is definitely not a fun adventure. Landon started coughing on Sunday and he's had a little congestion as well. He developed a fever late Tuesday night, and I checked him again Wednesday morning rectally and he had a fever of 101. Off to the doctor's office we went. Kris and I figured that we'd given Landon our cold that we've had for the past week. We thought they'd give us something for the fever and send us on our merry way. Boy were we wrong...

The doctor sent us over to the hospital for a round of tests for Landon and said we would be here a minimum of 3 days. What?????!!!!! Not the New Year's Eve we had planned. (Granted, our New Year's Eve was going to be just the three of us grilling out steaks, but still more exciting than sitting in the hospital!) I immediately began crying with the thought of my little sweetie being in the hospital at a mere 5 weeks old. Basically, according to our doc, it's standard procedure when a baby is this young with a fever. They want to rule out any bad stuff and figure out why there's a fever.

They did blood work, urine tests, and even a spinal tap. Yes, I was scared out of my mind. Needless to say, we were not prepared for any of this and I've been a basketcase the majority of the day. They also tested Landon for RSV, and that came back positive. Sometimes it comes along with a fever, sometimes not. So they're continuing with the tests and making us stay here for the 3 days to rule out any other underlying causes for the fever. RSV is basically a very contagious bad cold that is worse for those 2 and under. Landon will get breathing treatments to help with the cough. It only affects the rest of us as a cold. So little Landon will be cooped up for 2-3 weeks and kept away from other kiddies.

We haven't gotten any other test results back, but we're hoping it's the RSV and nothing else. I feel better now that we know a little something, and Kris and I are grateful that we're in the right place and we caught this stuff soon. I tell you what, there is NOTHING more heartbreaking for a mom than to see her little one in the hospital. Landon has been a trooper and sleeping through it all, but not so much for his parents. His pitiful cries made me cry harder and just wish there was something I could do. I would take his place in a heartbeat and do anything to take his pains away.

As of an hour ago, Landon no longer had a fever, and they're continuing to give him antibiotics just in case of any other infection. We're hoping for the best and we know that God is taking care of our little angel.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are in my prayers.

    Before I saw this post, I mentioned Landon's fever and symptoms to Dave's mom, who works at Scotish Rite. She said, "I bet it's RSV. It's going around like crazy." I pray that this is the root of his symptoms and that he won't have to endure more testing. There's nothing quite like having to helplessly watch your child suffer...

    I'm so sorry your little man and you have to go through all of this.

    May the New Year bring you all peace and good health...

    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete