Thursday, March 5, 2009

Random act of kindness

On Tuesday I was sitting here catching up on emails and trying to stay away from my new addiction of facebook. The doorbell rang, and I thought "Who's trying to sell us something now? Don't these people know we're on a budget?" With a big sigh, I got up and answered the door. A lady said, "I see you've already gotten your mail for today, so I thought I'd bring this to you." She left, and I shut the door. The envelope had only our street address on it. I opened it and a note and this picture were inside.

This is our home, and the note was from our new homeowner's president. Part of it said, "Thought you might like a picture of your house, in the midst of the falling snow, to enjoy and appreciate."

Well, then I felt like dirt! I ran out and caught her and told her how nice I thought that was. (We had a nice talk and she emailed me the picture as well.) I had told Kris that I wished we had gone out to the street and taken a picture. I was lazy and we stayed on the porch. This lady, who is a stranger to us, took the time out of her snowy day to take a picture of everyone's house in our neighborhood. Then she took the time to get them developed and deliver them to each house. How kind is that?

It's a simple thing, but I've been thinking about it all week. What a random act of kindness! It got me thinking that I need to perform more random acts of kindness myself, especially knowing how great this one made me feel. Isn't it great to know that there are still kind people out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment